I make paintings in the landscape motif, using semi-abstract images to suggest the place or imply a narrative. I work from locations in my local area (West London) and England’s south coast. Working outdoors is unlike any other creative experience and is my personal favourite; it nourishes my imagination and refreshes my personal stockpile of colour and shape and line.
Although I have lived in London for many years, I grew up in the state of Arkansas in US; working in the English landscape is another way of claiming my adopted home as my own.
When I travel to paint, it is usually to Hampshire or Dorset. Both places are nearby and full of inspiration and subject matter.
Weather preventing....I use the collections in London's many galleries to learn from such great landscape painters as Corot, Rubens, Deibenkorn, Morandi and Macke.
I work in an Acava studio, which is located in Shepherds Bush, west London.
I belong to an artists' cooperative, the Fountain Gallery in near Hampton Court in Surrey. I exhibit there at least once every year, and take part in open exhibitions, art fairs, and group shows in London and Surrey.
Please see the recent article on 'Gatherings' by Claire, which includes one of my drawings - http://www.artspan.com/articles/content/Gathering#.VFNIgvmsWSo
Ann Marie Whaley first studied art at the University of Arkansas in the US.
She studied at the Byam Shaw School of Art in London in the 1980s. She continued to study privately while working in the software business. Now retired from business, she works and exhibits regularly in London and Surrey.
‘At the Edge of the Ocean’, New Ashgate Gallery in Farnham, Surrey, 28 July – 8 September
‘Out of the Blue’, Fountain Gallery, East Molesey, 18-30 September
Selected shows :
- UpFront Open, Up-Front Gallery, Cumbria, 2015, 2016,2017,2018,2019,2020
- Elmbridge Moving Art 2017,2019
- ‘The ING Discerning Eye Exhibition’, 2008, 2013, 2015, 2016,2019
- Derwent Art Prize, Mall Galleries London, 2013
- ‘Bank Gallery at the Lightbox’, Woking, Surrey 2012, 2013, 2015
- 'Art in the Ark', The Ark Centre, Basingstoke, 2014,2016
- ‘Personal Spaces’, The Lightbox, Woking, Surrey, 2018
- Surrey Contemporary Art Fair, Sandown, 2018
- ‘Water Water Everywhere’, Stables Gallery, Orleans House, Twickenham, 2018
- ‘Coast to Coast’, Fountain Gallery, East Molesey, 2017
- ‘Colour Matters, Fountain Gallery, East Molesey, 2015
- ‘Below the Surface’, the Lightbox, Woking, 2015
- ‘Out of the Blue’, Fountain Gallery, East Molesey, 2014, 2016
- Bank Artists @ the Robert Phillips Gallery, Riverhouse Barn Gallery, Walton-on-Thames, 2013
- Espacio Gallery, 2013, London
- ‘Land, Sea, Sky, Dreams’, Dorset Art Weeks, 2012, 2014, 2016